Friday, August 20, 2010

Sprouting is FUN! + Dehydrating Experience, anyone?

Sprouting is easy as 1 2 3 . The thought of doing something will make you feel lazy. But when you JUST DO IT, you will get hooked up and keep on doing. I am talking about myself... I used to think sprouting is troublesome and a lot of work although I know the advantages and goodness in the sprouts. Until I push myself to do it and now I have been looking for seeds to sprout.

Sprouts are inexpensive and it is a high energy rejuvenating food. The starch will turn into sugar after sprouted and the nutritional content increases drastically. Grow them yourself so you know exactly how they have been grown and use the purest water you can find for sprouting. :)

My son loves the sprouts and it is included in his snack box with the Raisins, Goji berries and dehydrated cookies.

Sharing on how Sprouting happens in TSL Kitchen

I used empty glass jam bottles, rubber band and cloth (used for holding herbs for cooking).
I cut the cloth out from the herbal bag because the cloth is thin and have larger holes for ease in draining away water.

When sprouting begins....

DAY 1, 10pm
Soak the seeds in the bottle with the cloth cover on and bind it with rubber band.

DAY 2, 6am
Drain off the water and leave it in a cool, dark place.

DAY 2, 6pm
Remove the cloth and add in water, rinse the seeds gently, put back the cloth and drain off the water. I usually lay the bottle horizontal on the table for to let the seeds spread out with more space. I feel that the seeds will be cramping up at the bottom if the bottle is in standing position. (personal preference)

DAY 3, 6am
Repeat the procedure of rinsing and draining. You will see little tails coming out from the seeds.
The picture on the left is WHEAT sprout and the one beside it is GREEN BEAN sprout.


DAY 3, 8pm
Harvesting Time for me!!! I will start my bread making with the wheat sprout. For the green bean sprout I can leave till DAY 4 for lunch in my salad, yummy... The remaining will be kept in the fridge in a container.


Bread Making with Wheat Sprouts
I used to ignored all the recipes that needed sprouting, now I am digging them out for making.
I got this from KAT WOOD book again, my favourite.....
We have sprouted wheat, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, onion and miso. All the seeds are soaked for 2 hours before using. Next we needed the masticating juicer to puree most of the ingredients. Push the seeds in first then the onion, lastly
the wheat. Add miso in and mix it in with your hand. After that, start kneading it into a dough. Shape it into a loaf with 1 1/2inch high and dry for 18 hours then turn over for another 6 hours.

Oh, I know what you are thinking, huh... the electrical bills.... is it going to be high??? I have friends asking that questions. I guess there is a slight increase. I try to maximise my trays every time I do it and limit to once per week. I am gonna buy more trays from CK Tangs to save more, hee hee hee.... The advantage of my dehydrator is that I can add more trays, now I have 5 trays, hopefully I can add 3 more... Anyway, anyone interested in buying a cheap one to try, you can
get from CK TANG for $200 plus. But if you are not very sure if your interest can last for so long and afraid that your dehydrator will be a white elephant.... I would suggest that you attend Dehydrating Experience in TSL Kitchen.

Dehydrating Experience in TSL Kitchen
It will be a 1.5 to 2 hour session, below is a brief agenda:
1) Soak Ingredients
2) Sharing Session
3) Ingredient and Recipes Discussions
4) Hands On (2 to 3 cookies, depends on timing)
5) Q&A

Everyone will make your own cookies yourself from soaking to blending and laying on the trays. We will leave the cookies for 18 hours at my place for dehydrating but you will have to come back the next day to collect your cookies and also WASH the dehydrator to complete the whole procedure. I can post the cookies to you for special request but it is best to finish the whole procedure by yourself.
For a start off, the cost per person will be $35 (cost will be adjusted in the future).

Please email me at tanshellin@hotmail.com if you are interested.


No comments:

Post a Comment